Culture is the key.
The Indigenous community is often understood to be in a mental health crisis. This workshop will redefine issues, such as suicide, violence and addiction as a community crisis with a social cause and cultural “cure,” one rooted in Traditional values. Participants will have the opportunity to identify and then explore that four-factor “cure” utilizing an Indigenous wellness model designed to assist people to become the Elders they are meant to become. A balance of values that are essential to healthy personal and professional relationships will be reviewed and relevant techniques will be practiced. Finally, a 3-part process to decolonize ourselves and our practice will be explored. The result will be a deeper understanding of the source of community problems and a culturally-rooted approach to wellness and a greater capacity to heal oneself, one’s family, and the community. The result will be a deeper understanding of the source of community problems and a culturally-rooted approach to wellness and a greater capacity to heal oneself, one’s family, and the community.
Colonization is the Disease
– Traditional Values
– 4 Waves of Colonization
– Diagnosis and Colonization
Culture is the Cure
– The 4 Cultural Branches of Wellness
– Self Worth: Enhancing Connection & Empowerment
– A Worthwhile Life: Enhancing Purpose & Wisdom
– Balancing the Values of Care & Respect as a Helper and the Validation-Invitation 2-Step
The Community is the Medicine
– Shifting Focus from Problems to opportunities
– Shifting Focus from an Individual to a Community-Based Identity
– Shifting from Government Sanctioned Problem Resources to Community/Cultural Ones
– Making Plans for Wellness