Grief is a cleansing river. Grief is a healthy and necessary step in healing. However, some are trapped by trauma in the ice of their grief, unable to allow their lives to flow toward wellness. This workshop offers human service professionals and community members the opportunity to better understand healthy grief and the interference of colonization in the grieving process. It will provide the skills necessary to support those who are grieving and to prevent and/or respond to traumatic grief.
- Each participant receives a comprehensive handbook.
- normal grief and “traumatic grief reaction”
- the impacts of colonization and trauma on grief and wellness
- guided talking circle counselling technique
- effective listening and responding to distress
- culture, resilience and the 4 stages of healing
- boundaries, values and responsibility
- grounding and self care