Maintain balance! When responding to a client, a counsellor needs to consider their personal values and attitudes concerning their relationship with them and the role of that relationship on a client’s self esteem. This will have a greater impact than any technique or tool that can be learned. This workshop will offer the approach and skills necessary to maintain balance.
- Each participant receives a comprehensive handbook.
- relational ethics, therapeutic values and wellness
- boundaries under pressure–managing difficult responsibility issues (e.g., threats by clients, “borderline” clients, clinical counter-transference, cultural differences, client dependency, straying beyond competence, etc.)
- confidentiality, consultation, dual relationships, and legal protection
- self care (e.g., assertiveness, saying no effectively, burn-out prevention, etc.)